We interview three API experts on the state of GraphQL
GraphQL, the API query language, enables you to return many resources in a single request. With an effective type system, GraphQL streamlines data fetching to explicitly what the client needs. Read more
In a speech at the 2016 GraphQL Summit, Lee Byron of GraphQL/Facebook put forward a “Secret Master Plan” outlining his hopes for GraphQL, the growing API standard.
In an ideal world, he said, he hoped that GraphQL adoption would look something like this:
- 1–3 months – Hobbyists and personal projects
- 6 months – Implemented in 3+ languages
- 9–12 months – New startups and small companies
- 1.5–2 years – Medium sized companies and products
- 2 years – Implemented in 10+ languages (actually took ~3 months)
- 2–4 years – Large companies and tech giants
- 4–5 years – Ubiquity!